Saturday, May 06, 2006

Foul rag and bone shop

I hate downtown Milborough. Every time our cleaning detail would get one bit of that stupid park clean, someone would throw a Tim Hortons cup or something into the bushes.We continued every day this week, being the principal's poster girls for healthy teenage living. Yesterday the principal turned up at the park around 4:30 p.m., and said he had news for us.
"I'm splitting you up next week."
We just stood and stared at him."You're just making this up as you go along, aren't you?" I asked.
"Well, yes. This week's issue of Canadian Educator had a big story on the newest menace to our high schools: punks and death metal, so next week the punks get the park, and the death metal boys get the lice information stations." We asked what would happen to us, now that we were an unfashionable threat. "Oh, I've got you girls farmed out to the public schools." He was sending Zahava and Zainab to work with grade one sports, and Zenobia and Zapata had to go teach first aid to the grade fives.
"What about us?" Zenia asked. "What do the Brontë nut and I have to do?"
"Oh, you two will be doing weekly story reading at Beaver Centennial Public School. You're the artsy types, you'll love it." Duncan arrived about that time to walk home with me, so I missed Zenobia putting out her cigarette on Queen Victoria and starting a monarchist riot.
Tonight I'm going with Duncan to the Mayes's for a party for a really weird and somewhat disturbing engagement. His ex-girlfriend is inviting all of her exes to the party, so Jeremy'll be there too. I can't imagine wanting to invite Ed to anything I'd be going to with Duncan. Predictably, Charles Wallace wanted to go.
He started whining, "Why do you get to go, Sandra? You're boring."
"I'm going with Duncan, you twerp."
"Why does Uncle Arne get to go?"
"He works for the fiancée to be's father. Now go away. Go kill some Sims or something." He went off to his room, and when I walked by the door he was doing something nasty to the Duncan Sim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home