Thursday, May 18, 2006

The falls

I almost forgot this part: Arne went to Niagara Falls tonight. He phoned while Charles Wallace and I were eating dinner, and said that he was taking off for the Falls after his stupid writing class. He left his hotel information "in case anything happened" and said that he'd be at the International Association of Illusionists conference. He said he had a hot tip on a television-quality illusion, then hung up.
When my parents were leaving this morning, my father gave me an envelope when my mother was going to the car.
"Sandra, just in case anything happens to your uncle, take this. " I asked why. "Arne always has bad luck in Niagara Falls: he really shouldn't go there." My father didn't say anything else, and then my parents left. I didn't tell Charles Wallace about the envelope.
I telephoned Duncan after dinner, and he sounded horrible. His parents were shouting in the background: I think it was over that awful letter. Duncan said he was hiding in the rec room with the cats, listening to Nine Inch Nails. I'll try to cheer him up tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home