Sunday, June 11, 2006

Red card

It's finally quiet around here. It's been a long day. Today we had the traditional Sunday roast, and my aunt and uncle and Enid were here. My grandfather watched the morning soccer game, and everything seemed fine as dinner started. About the time my father put the knife to the roast, Arne turned up. As soon as he stumbled into the dining room, my grandfather stood up and pointed at him.
"You hooligan! You threw cheap Scandinavian beer at my car!" Arne froze.
"It's not cheap, it's over $10.00 a six pack!" Then my mother started.
"That's my car, Dad, not yours," The three of them went on. My father looked like he wanted to die right there. Then Arne pulled himself together and said he was leaving.
"I'm going, don't worry. Just remember this, Don," and then he started singing "Everything I Do, I Do for You." He hit a high note badly as the front door shut. My father still looked stunned,
but said,
"I have no brother. Roast beef?" Dinner was kind of anticlimactic after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home