Monday, December 18, 2006

Eternity in an hour

I saw Duncan between classes this morning. He said his mouth tastes like he drank paint thinner. At least he's not talking to the doughnuts any more.
Last night I met him at Tim Hortons after he jammed with April. I knew something was odd when he stood outside the door and kept waving his hand, and staring at it. I decided to get him his double double and maple dip while he was doing whatever it was with his hands. After a few minutes he came in, and looked at the doughnut like he'd never seen one before in his life.
"Zandra, have you ever realized how you can see heaven in a doughnut glaze?" He waved the doughnut a bit. "O sweet things I love, save me from the cowcatchers."
His eyes were little pinpoints, and he was really reading that maple dip.
"Duncan, what did you do at April's?" I asked. Duncan thought for a bit.
"I'm not sure. I think it was fusion, but April still can't get the chord changes right for jazz."
"No, did you eat or drink anything there?" Mrs. Patterson's seafood surprise always had a bad effect on Duncan, but he didn't look like he had food poisoning.
"Hmmm. Hmmmm. Pop. Cookies. Fresh breath strips with pictures. More cookies." Now he was staring into the double double. "You know, if the doors of perception were cleansed, we could see double doubles as they are: infinite."
The direct route was the only thing left. "Duncan, are you all right?"
"Welll...there's something in my head and it's not me," Duncan said after a while. Then he apologized to his double double and drank it. I suggested that I drive him home and he agreed. In the car he kept saying he could feel the streetlights. I dropped him off and then called Jeremy Jones.
"Did you break up with him again?" Jeremy asked.
"No, and I'm fine, too, thank you."
"Sorry. It's been a long day and I had to put up with Zapata staring at me evilly all afternoon at this choir thing I did sound for."
I asked Jeremy if there really was something going on between April and Duncan, and what possibly could have gone on this afternoon. Jeremy said not to worry, and that if they had had any substances liable to abuse at the Patterson house April's sister was probably responsible. I thanked Jeremy and told him he made me feel better.
Then Duncan called. All he said was "Dealin' Dalton. Ask Chuck."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home