Sunday, October 15, 2006

Speed and sleep

I called Duncan early this morning, and asked if he wanted to go into Toronto this afternoon. He sounded groggy, but said yes. I told him to meet me at the GO station in an hour. Charles Wallace was put out that I wasn't taking him, but got over it when I told him his job was to watch Eva. I then called Enid and asked if she and her boyfriend could meet us at Union Station. I explained to her what was going on and she said she was happy to help, even though I sounded crazy.
Duncan needed three double-doubles in order to get on the train. I bought maple dips, too, in case he needed anything else to wake up. He said he felt like he hadn't had any sleep, and that he really couldn't remember anything of the night before except that he and Eva did something somewhere. I had the camcorder with me and showed him the recording Charles Wallace made. Duncan was stunned.
"I did her homework? I did my homework? She watched the hockey game? I missed Mats Sundin scoring in overtime? Oh man, this is bad." By this time we'd pulled into Union Station. Enid and her boyfriend were waiting for us on the concourse. We bought Duncan more coffee and went to find the squeegee squat.
Unfortunately it had been torn down and was now a gaping hole waiting for a condo. Duncan looked confused. I told him that I was just trying to remind him, and his subconscious, of who he was and what he liked. Duncan then said he liked food, and could we get lunch? Enid's boyfriend wanted nachos, so we went to Sneaky Dee's downtown. We got the King's Crown nachos and three combination plates and Duncan explained to Enid and her boyfriend what he thought was going on. At least he was sounding more like himself, and he looked really happy when the tv over the bar showed highlights from the Leafs game. After we ate we walked down College towards Kensingston Market. Enid's boyfriend stopped in front of a set of stairs, and said, "It's the Reindeer Restaurant! I haven't been here for years! Cheap beer!" We followed him down and sat at a corner table. The waitress came over to take our order. She looked familiar, and I realized why when Duncan looked up at her and said,
"Bambi?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home