Friday, December 22, 2006

Welcome to Ottawa. Sorry for the inconvenience

The one time I went to the airport in Ottawa, the signs all said that. It pretty much sums it up.
My mother has to stay in Milborough until Sunday because of some hospital thing, so my father was set to drive me, Charles Wallace, and gifts up to Ottawa today. We started loading the Saab up around 9:00. By 9:04 it was clear not everything would fit: we had a choice of leaving suitcases or Charles Wallace behind. My father didn't look very happy, and he went inside shaking his head and saying, "Please forgive me," to no one in particular. About ten minutes later I realized why he was doing that. Arne pulled up at the curb.
"Don, thanks for calling. We can get everything into the trunk of the T-bird--hell, you could bring a patio set, too if you want to." We got everything into the trunk, said goodbye to my mother, and got on the road. Charles Wallace is letting me use his Blackberry right now, and he's listening to my iPod. Wilco is sulking in his rabbit carrier between us. He has a tiny deck of cards and keeps pointing to the word "euchre" but neither Charles Wallace nor I know euchre. I'm wearing Jeremy Jones's present. Arne noticed it straight off.
"Hey, cool necklace. And good welding technique. Where did you get it?"
"Jeremy Jones gave it to me."
"I keep telling you, he likes you. Just date him already. Duncan only gave you music--you got real jewelry from Jeremy. Trust me-- go with the tangible assets." He's concentrating on the 401 right now, and Dad is fiddling with the radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home