Friday, April 07, 2006

Hot pink distorted

Friday had every indication of being a not totally horrible day. For one thing, I didn't have to go to drama club. When I was on my way to the library after classes, though, Mirabell stopped me in the hall.
"Is your hair permanent or wash-out?" he asked.
"What do you mean?" I said. He replied that he knew it wasn't my real colour. "How do you know?"
"Public school photographs are part of your Ontario Student Record. So, can you wash the colour out?" I said yes. "Good. I need you to be a redhead by Monday." He walked away quickly after that. He didn't seem quite so much like an extortionist back in February. When I got outside, Arne and Charles Wallace were waiting for me, with my mother's car.
"Oh hell, not again!" Arne had me get into the driver's seat, and directed me over to the medical building. It seems Charles Wallace had explained to him that private detectives often use multiple cars in surveillance, so Arne asked my mother if he could borrow her car for the day, claiming that he was going to teach me to parallel park. "If I'm going to have to play detective again, I get to go to the drugstore. I need hair colour." I left the two of them next to the elevator bank while I bought hair colour. I thought about asking someone for help, but the only person there was the pharmacist and anyone with a bowl cut couldn't possibly help with current styling questions. When I got out to the hall way, Arne looked disappointed. The dentist had gone early, or something, and wasn't in. We got into the car and drove over to the LCBO. While Arne was inside, Charles Wallace started smirking.
"Mike Pearson said his brother's in the play with you..."
"Right, his brother plays Macbeth."
"Well, Macbeth said you were really hot and told Macduff that he wouldn't mind breaching his recognizance with you, if you know what he means, or something like that." Great.
"You know, I'm beginning to hate drama with the power of a thousand suns." Charles Wallace always gets science similes better than regular ones. Arne came back into the car with three bottles of something cheap. He started talking about the Milborough retirement circuit.
"I'm getting into some good information here. Did you know that there's an absolutely hot babe in this high school Shakespeare? Some geezer's grandson talked about her all during his visit last night." I turned red.
"Can't people in this miserable excuse for a town find something other than my cleavage to talk about?" At that, Arne turned red and apologized.
"You know Milborough: everything gets around. First it's the guy who took down the hundred teenagers at the Valhalla, now it's your cans. I should go to the Valhalla--they must need a.."
"An idiot?" I asked.
"No, I was thinking they needed a magician. I wonder how Thorvald McGuire feels about Swedes..."
Enid says I'm really lucky I don't have to do anything like in the Macbeth film she had to see for class. Due to my sudden change of hair colour, going to Toronto Sunday evening is off, so instead I'm going in Saturday early to help Enid with a photography project at Mount Pleasant. I should call Duncan to see if he wants to come too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home