Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The robber bride

I thought things would start to get quieter today. I was wrong. My grandfather left this morning to go to Oshawa for a week or so to see some of his old friends from his local, and Arne's hiding somewhere. When I got to school Zenobia told me that Zenia said that I'd bought Duncan a killer whale pattern Razr to replace the one his cousin threw at the whale.
"That's so untrue, and pretty evil, too," I said.
"Well, Zenia never saw a couple that she didn't want to uncouple," Zenobia said. I didn't see Duncan at school, so I thought he must have taken to his bed again.
Then my parents seemed kind of distracted. My mother's annoyed since Dr. Patterson has left funeral pre-planning pamphlets all over the lobby of the medical building and near her office.
"I can't get him to realize that it's all about location. Location, location--why would I want funeral advice near my office?" Meanwhile my father phoned my aunt the lawyer about getting what sounded like a "legal declaration of non-fraternity." Charles Wallace was busy blue-pencilling his script from Michael Patterson. After my father got off the phone with my aunt, and Charles Wallace took his script up to his room, the phone rang. My mother answered and talked worriedly for a bit. After she hung up, she asked me if I knew where Duncan was.
"I thought he stayed home in bed--he was pretty upset about the whole Marineland thing."
"No, Miranda says he disappeared this morning, and he doesn't seem to have any money or anything. I told her that you'd tell us if you knew where he was." This was serious. I told my mother I'd certainly let her and my father know if I knew where Duncan was. I went up to my room, telling Charles Wallace along the way that I didn't feel like fixing prose tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home