Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Blessed rage for order

I had a nice time out with Jeremy in Toronto last night, although he looked a little bored at times when I talked about Duncan. He's a really good listener otherwise. During lunch I talked to Duncan in the library.
"So, what did you do last night?" I asked. He was sitting with a copy of the newspaper in front of him, and for some reason he was staring at the Sudoku page.
"Eva and I went out to Tim Horton's and had a pleasant evening, thank you," he said mechanically. I reached into my bag. Finally, having a budding evil mastermind for a younger brother was paying off.
"No you didn't--you stayed at your home and played Scrabble with your mother and my brother, and here's the proof." I showed him the photographs. Charles Wallace had used my mother's camera, and had Arne take them to a 24-hour 1 hour developing store somewhere. Duncan grew increasingly alarmed as he looked through the photographs.
"I won a game against my mother? I helped Charles Wallace do the walking cards illusion? What the..."
"Yes, you actually stayed in all night, but for some reason have a masking memory of going out with Eva. I think she's got more than just botox behind that smirk." We fell silent at that point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home