Friday, October 06, 2006

Spellbound

Duncan's having some relapses into thinking he's dating Cowboy Eva, but on the whole he's more or less back to normal. We watched the hockey game last night and he was really happy the Leafs won. We didn't do very much else, as Charles Wallace insisted on videoing Duncan watching the game. I wish he had a better sense of where science and my personal life separate.
"Mom, how does hypnosis work?" he asked as we got ready to go to school this morning.
"Honey, we don't know," my mother said. "We still don't know much about the human brain and how it works in a normal state and no, you can't experiment on human brains when you grow up."
Charles Wallace turned up in the library during my spare period.
"What the hell are you doing here? Don't you have a school of your own to be miserable in?" I asked him.
"My teacher won't notice," he said. "And your math class was more interesting anyway. Do you think Eva has special powers? Maybe she's really a Class 5 mutant..."
"Charles Wallace, X-Men III is not a documentary, unlike Hitchcock's The Birds."
"You only say that since you're afraid of birds. Maybe Eva's got some hypnosis thing going on. Or maybe there's a hidden white noise transmitter somewhere that's scrambling your cortex." He looked at his watch then. "I better get back to Glenallen. We're watching filmstrips today, and I want to see if my teacher's figured out how to get the sound and strip synchronized yet." He left as Zenobia walked in and sat at the computer.
"There goes the creepy kid from The Ring," she said. I told her that that was my brother. "Isn't he supposed to be in school?"
"Yes, but he's helping me with this Eva thing."
"Was it his idea for you to go to a concert with Jeremy Jones?"
"No, Jeremy had tickets and we didn't go together, we just went together." It made sense to me. Zenobia then bypassed the library computer's nanny program and read movie news.
"The Ring 3 is in production," she announced.
"What the hell are they going to have possessed this time? A haunted DVD? An evil video case? Can't that brat just get over it and go into oblivion?" Right then the librarian was getting near us, so Zenobia went back to the catalogue page and I pulled out my English homework.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home