Saturday, January 20, 2007

Titanic days

We've been busy at the Learning Resources Centre table this week. Exams tend to do that. I gave Duncan some of my old notes, and he thanked me, but looked a bit abstracted, which may have been due to him playing air bass right then.
"Sorry, Zed, just working out the rhythm bridge for a new song we're doing," he said. He said he'd be over to help out with karaoke at the Three Kronen later.
It was busy at the bar. Arne and I were hard pressed to keep up with the requests; I think it was because no-one had any access to the projection television and couldn't watch the hockey game. Wilco was on the bar and was sitting on the remote. He was facing the big television screen and watching Labyrinto de los novios. Whenever anyone tried to take the remote away from him he'd get upset.
"Hey, that rabbit punched me," Ole Svensen said at one point.
"Well, don't make him mad. Go watch the game up front. The Leafs are going to lose anyway," Arne said.
Duncan stuck to critiquing everyone's performance.
"Why'd he pick that song? It's out of his range," he said more than once.
"They're amateurs, Duncan, and they're singing whatever makes them happy. If you wanted decent singing, karaoke at a Swedish bar is not the place to find it." Ivar's girlfriend Brigit was attempting to belt out "Gimme Gimme Gimme a Man After Midnight" right then. She was awful, but that wasn't the point. Duncan was getting on my nerves with his musician stuff. He made up for it by doing a song and dedicating it to me around the end of the night.
This afternoon my mother asked me to run some SPRI over to the Andersons. She said that Duncan's mother had called and said she was running low on it, and wanted to make sure Duncan didn't do anything stupid over Liz Patterson again. I drove over to the Andersons and gave Mrs. Anderson the SPRI. Duncan wasn't in, she said; he was studying math and science with April. Before I could phone over to the Pattersons my cell phone rang. It was Arne claiming he needed a helicopter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home