Saturday, February 03, 2007

Fun fantasy confusion catastrophe

Maybe it’s not a good idea to work karaoke with people I know. I’m not sure. Duncan didn’t tell me he’d asked Wilco to go get April for last night’s session at the Three Kronen. I wondered why Wilco hopped out in such a hurry. Arne was pretty distracted, since he was trying to fix up a magician gig on his cellphone between (and eventually during) introductions to songs. Once April arrived, she prompted Duncan to take over the mc-ing and Arne was left to schedule and wheedle in peace.
For some reason, Zapata’s boyfriend Eldritch turned up. I guess he got tired of Zapata asking him over and over again if he still loved her. Eldritch waved and walked over to me for a song catalogue.
“It’s mostly Swedish-oriented, but there might be some other stuff,” I said. Eldritch spent a few minutes going through the songs and settled on one.
“Can you help me with this one? You’re better at languages than I am,” he asked. It seemed harmless enough, and I wouldn’t have to actually sing, so I said yes. Duncan looked pretty surprised when he introduced Eldritch and me, but he got over it quickly and started tapping out a bassline to April.
I had just started doing the Spanish lines for “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” when Zapata burst into the bar. Jeremy Jones was following her; he tried to hold her back but she shook him off and jumped on the stage.
“You bitch! That’s my boyfriend! Eldritch, leave that skank’s face alone!” Eldritch stopped singing and looked really confused. Zapata was swinging at my gut but Wilco hopped from the bar at that point and pinned her down. “Get the rabbit off me, you bitch!” Zapata yelled. “Just because your boyfriend wants to take April to Bermuda or whatever doesn’t mean you can steal my boyfriend!” I guess Wilco was doing one of the seven forms of hand-to-paw combat he knows. Eldritch started talking her down and I went to the washroom. April came in right afterward.
“I didn’t know Duncan didn’t tell you he asked me to come out,” she said. “And it was really uncube for him to ask me about going off to Barbados at March break with him and not ask you. Sometimes he just doesn’t think, you know.”
“I know,” I said. “I’m not really sure about anything anymore. Everything’s so confusing. Sometimes I think I just want to be an amoeba.” April was about to say something but Zapata burst in and started crying, or apologizing. April and I went back out and started going through the stack of requests that came in while we were in the washroom. Ole Svenson was still going on about catfights, and Arne was getting Wilco a carrot shooter so he wouldn’t go for Ole’s throat.

Later someone stumbled over to my table, dropped a crumpled request slip down, and then dropped the little pencil into Arne’s beer.
"I think we better do this one now," I said. Arne looked at the slip and I cued up the track.
"And now it’s Luz Putterson…with, Four Strong Winds." The woman stumbled back up to the mike and started singing.
"Isn’t that a Neil Young song?" Eldritch said.
"No, it’s actually an Ian and Sylvia song," Ivar over at the bar said. "Neil Young’s just one of many who covered it. I’m partial to Judy Collins’s version myself."
April was trying very hard not to laugh at that point. “God, Liz’s voice is lower than Neil Young’s: weird, eh?” Liz continued singing and gripping the mike stand. She finished, and then threw a paper ball with another request on it.
"All right," Arne said. "Give Luz Putterson a hand! And next, we have" (he paused and squinted a bit) "Luz Putterson again, with Helpless!" Liz started singing and then broke down sobbing once she hit the words “town in north Ontario.” Then the words she was singing didn’t match the ones on the screen, especially in the second verse where she started singing obscenties about a Paul Wright. Arne motioned over to Wilco who waved over Ivar right then.
“Er, Miss,” Ivar said cautiously. “Would you like a Diet Coke or something? I’ve got some meatballs and ligonberry I can put in the microwave for you.” Liz grabbed the mike stand harder and started to pick it up.
“I can’t see the sun! It’s in my eyes!” Liz shrieked. She started to wave the mike stand.
“Don’t make me call the bunny, Miss,” Ivar said. Liz put down the mike and went quietly to her table. Ivar called her a cab and she staggered out.
“Whoa. Good thing I’m staying with Grampa and Iris tonight,” April said. It was getting late, and the people left in the bar wanted the hockey scores. I made plans with Duncan to go into Toronto today.
“We can meet Enid and her boyfriend,” I said.
“I thought they broke up,” Duncan said.
“They did, but he’s got a car and she doesn’t, and she has access to the darkrooms and supplies at York and he doesn’t.” Duncan promised not to talk about his band too much, and then Wilco drove Duncan, April, and me home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home