Saturday, April 22, 2006

Another senseless tragedy

We just got back from Toronto. I helped Arne unload the car at the Valhalla, and then he dropped me and Charles Wallace at home. Charles Wallace bought part of the set for Bluebeard's Castle. I have no idea why, and it barely fit in the back seat with all the junk Arne bought. Arne had not noticed that the sale was "cash only." He found that out when he was trying to pay for the swords, spears, lances, bodkins, daggers, poniards, quarterstaves, foils, sabres, and juggling balls (the COC swore that they were from the circus scene in Aida) he picked up.
"Shit. Cash only. Hey babe, want to trust me on it and come back with me for dinner?" Not surprisingly the woman at the register didn't go for that. "Hey babe," he then said, tapping me on the shoulder, "how much cash did your mother give you before you left the house?"
"None. She gave it to Charles Wallace, and he's spent it all on scenery."
"All right, I'll stay here in line, you take your cash card and go find an ATM." I hit him at that point. "OK, take my cash card, and go find an ATM." He gave me the card and thankfully he remembered to give me his PIN.
There aren't any ATMs near the Canadian Opera Company's main buildings. I had to walk a few blocks to the convenience store near the Toronto Sun building, and then I had to wait in line with other people who forgot the sale was cash only. When I got back to the sale Arne was talking to a guy who was with Duncan's ex-girlfriend Becky McGuire. Neither the guy nor Becky looked happy. I didn't look very happy myself: it was raining and I was trapped in Toronto with my uncle and brother.
Finally Arne paid for everything and we loaded the car. I made Charles Wallace sit in the back with the weaponry and I sat in front with the juggling equipment. As we drove back on the highway, I asked Arne who the man with Becky was.
"Huskuld, no, Howard. I took his gig at the Valhalla. Now he only does the late show and I'm getting twice the tips. I can't help it if Milborough's got a taste for magic." He spent the rest of the drive back talking about his new game plan. "I've joined that creative non-fiction writing class at the college: women love creative men. Between that and my act, I'll have babes lining up at my door." Kill me now God, please.
Since I started writing this, Arne's come back for Charles Wallace ("urgent practice" Arne said). My mother's on duty at the emergency department at Milborough General tonight. My father's trapped in a sea of tax returns at the office. I think I'll call Duncan. The Leafs are out of the playoffs, so it should be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home