Saturday, June 17, 2006

Far from the madding crowd

Charles Wallace and I were both pretty surprised to find Duncan in the kitchen last night. Duncan said that he thought someone knew he was coming back to Milborough, and was taking evasive action. Considering that Eva and Jeremy had just left the yard, that was a good idea. Duncan seemed really hungry, so I said I'd order pizza. Once that was taken care of, Duncan asked if he could have a shower, since it had been about a week or so since he had one. Charles Wallace thought that was cool (the not having a shower part), but didn't have a chance to convince Duncan not to wash since Duncan had bolted upstairs.
The pizza arrived, and all three of us ate. Charles Wallace kept asking Duncan questions about life as a squeegie kid.
"The next time you run away, Duncan, can I come with you? You do neat things," he said. Duncan had told us about his friends, especially Bambi the topless squeegier. By the time Duncan finished the pizza, it was fairly late. Even Charles Wallace was tired out. He went to his room and then Duncan and I went to bed. I asked him if he and Bambi were more than just friends, and he said no, since there's no running water at the squat.
This morning around 6:00 he said he was going to make a break for a double-double at Tim Horton's, then go back to Toronto for more squeeging and a quick trip to Barbados on the Water. He said he'd be back this evening, and I said I'd get his books out of his locker at the high school, and get my old notes out (I had pointed out to Duncan that I kept all my grade 9 class notes, and he said he'd probably need help getting through the exams). Duncan went through the window, and I went back to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home