Wednesday, June 21, 2006

How can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team

Arne had walked out of the England/Sweden game after the first half since no-one at the Three Kronen cared about it. I think Ivar had helped him out the door, too. Milborough was having a small town day, and the Swedish side of town was just down the road from the High Street today. Duncan walked over to the table looking confused until Arne tripped over him.
"That makes sense. At least he's not at my house with my father," Duncan said. I still have no idea how Arne made Mr. Anderson be his friend. My grandfather came back with the menus at that point, and said hello to Duncan and did he want a drink?
"Oh, sure, an apple juice or cider, whatever they have," Duncan said. My grandfather went back to the bar and soon brought back a pint and a half of lager, a cola type thing, and a pint of something else.
"Here's your cider, lad," my grandfather said. Duncan started to drink it, then asked me if it was alcoholic. I said yes, but at that moment Arne decided to do his "change a bill into pennies" trick. This time he changed a $10.00 into at least $5.00 worth of pennies over the bar, poker machine, and two tables of soccer fans.
"Magic show's up, Viking boy," came a voice from one of the affected tables. It was Constable Luggsworth.
"I'm an artist, you stupid cop," Arne said. "No prison can hold me!" Then he tried to do his "disappear in a cloud of dust" trick, but he tried to disappear right into Luggsworth. This was working out to be the shortest Arne encounter ever. Luggsworth took Arne out to the squad car, and we got food just as the second half started.
Duncan kept getting more depressed as the game went on, since the Trinidad and Tobago/Paraguay game was on one of the side televisions. My grandfather kept buying him pints of cider. By the time the game ended, Duncan was telling my grandfather all about being pushed into the goat pen.
"You're lucky, lad. When I was your age, we had no goat pen: we just kept the goat in a hole near the house. The leaky one-room house." Duncan went to the washroom and my grandfather said that Duncan was the best young man I'd ever gone with. "Holds his drink better than the last one, too." My mother arrived around this point to drive us all home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home