Thursday, February 15, 2007

That joke isn't funny anymore

I still feel awful. I talked to Zenobia a lot between classes and between her cigarettes. She said that her therapist told her to try to write everything down if something bad happens, since then the whole story is there and you can try to figure out where the plot went wrong. I told Zenobia I thought the plot went wrong when I was born. She said that her therapist said in case of that to just start somewhere later, try to recount the story, and then put it in the "mistake" file in the mental filing cabinet, and then you could start over again with a fresh pad and a new set of filing folders, side labels, and a new ink cartridge.
"Zenobia, who certified your therapist? Staples?" This wasn't helping. It got worse when we were tutoring. Jeremy Jones did his Duncan impression for Zenobia and I fell apart. I went right after tutoring and shut myself in my room and locked the door.
So this is what happened. I just stared at the saxophone for a while, and then put it in the living room. Wilco picked it up and started to play with it.
"Oh, you do that, too. Why is the most urbane, intelligent male in my life a rabbit?" I was just stunned. My father walked into the room then.
"What on earth is that? It smells like the time Arne screwed up his beer keg escape trick in the basement of the CN tower."
"It's a mouldy saxophone, Dad. Duncan gave it to me for Valentine's Day."
"It was a joke, right?" I remembered then that my father had been emotionally scarred by forgetting Valentine's Day the first year he was married to my mother.
"No, Dad, it wasn't a joke, and it's awful." I just had to leave the room right then.

I had a bath to try to feel better. I just kept on thinking about Duncan and the things we did together, but all I saw was the way the band, and the way it took up all his time and his mind, until the bathwater went cold all around me. I got out of the tub and got dressed and tried to read some H. P. Lovecraft to cheer up.
The doorbell rang when I got to the point of thinking I wanted to move to Arkham. Charles Wallace was helping our father set up some spreadsheets so I got the door.
It was Duncan.
"Zedwillyoumarryme?" he said really quickly.
"What?" I didn't expect this at all. Duncan went into his coat pocket and pulled out a twist-tie.
"Will you marry me? I don't have a real ring yet." I just stood there. Then I finally came out of it.
"No, Duncan, I won't marry you. I'm not even 17 yet. You're not even 16 yet. We haven't even finished high school. This is insane." Now he just stood there.
"Why," he said finally.
"I'm sorry Duncan, I really am. I feel really bad letting you know. You're just not really there anymore. We're not really together. This hurts a lot right now, but I can't go on like this anymore and the saxophone was just the last thing." I was starting to cry so I had to go inside. My father had come into the room for something and told Duncan goodbye.
I feel horrible, but I didn't know what else to do. It's like we were in separate parts of the province, or something: we just didn't share the same things anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home