Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Fragments against ruin

I couldn't believe that Duncan had willingly gone off with Zenia. I tried to figure out what happened.
"You broke up with him, Sandra. He can do whatever he wants," Charles Wallace said later.
"Even if it's to fall into the clutches of a being who will use him like a cheap tissue?"
"If you're so worried," he said, "you could warn him."
"He won't listen. You saw his blog," I said, pointing out Duncan's revised biography.
"Yes, and he doesn't know how to use HTML either."
"You're no help, Charles Wallace. I'll ask Mom. Don't let Wilco get rabbit kibble on my keyboard." I went downstairs to the family room, where my mother was reading the paper. I asked her what I should do.
"No, Sandra, I haven't had any experience with soul-sucking succubi."
"But what about Aunt Anne?"
"She was just acting like a typical younger sister, no matter what I said when I was sixteen."
I wasn't really getting anywhere with family members, so I decided to call Jeremy Jones.
"It's about Zenia, isn't it?" he asked.
"How'd you know?"
"Duncan's posting all over that she's his true love, and Zenia tried to walk off with Eldritch on Friday, according to Zapata," Jeremy said.
"Zenia must have had a dull reading week," I said.
"I thought all of you Z-girls were friends with her. I don't understand this," Jeremy said.
"We were friends, really. Zenia was so smart, and so cool: Zenobia and I sort of had crushes on her. Not Zapata, though: she always had Eldritch, but Zenia did tell her to get rid of her first name."
"So what's Zapata's first name?" Jeremy asked.
"Don't tell her I told you. It's Emiliana." Jeremy asked what went wrong. "You know what went wrong--first Zenia took Ed, and then she kind of forced Zenobia to do a science project for her and then held the whole plagiarism thing over her head."
"What did she do to Zapata?" Jeremy asked.
"Not much then, but she threatens to take Eldritch every once in a while. That freaks her out more," I said.
Zenobia and Zapata understood everything perfectly. They even started betting on when Zenia would wring the hope out of Duncan.
"I give him two days," Zenobia said.
"Hell, she'll dump him in a day," Zapata said. They asked what I was going to do to him. I said I couldn't think of anything worse than what Zenia had in store for him.
"Oh, I can," Zapata said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home