Tuesday, February 27, 2007

In shock

I wish Newton's laws of motion applied to this stupid town. Just when you think things can't possibly get worse in Milborough, they proceed to do so. I went to meet Duncan on Sunday at the Tim Hortons. I wanted to tell him that the poems didn't work, I was sorry, and we just couldn't get back together right now, or ever. For some reason Charles Wallace wanted to go to the Tim Hortons with me.
"It'll be boring, and fast. I don't know why you want to go with me."
"No reason. Could you drive fast?" he asked. We took the Saab and promised my father a Canadian maple doughnut and a double double. Charles Wallace was acting both secretive and excited, which was strange. He also didn't have his Blackberry with him.
We got to the Tim Hortons without seeing any police, which itself was a surprise as I was going about 15 kms over the speed limit. I was giving Charles Wallace money for doughnuts and coffee when I looked across the seating area and saw Duncan. He didn't see me, but Zenia, who had her tongue down his throat, saw me. She dislodged her tongue and moved her hand over to Duncan's groin.
"Oh, Zandra. What a surprise." Duncan looked at me, then at Zenia, and then tried to get under the table. Unfortunately Zenia appeared to be holding him up by his zipper.
"Reading week, you know," she continued. "We went over to Buffalo," she started as I grabbed my brother.
"But I didn't get the doughnuts!" he said.
"I don't care, we're leaving," I said. Zenia continued to look at me like we were actually having a conversation.
"You had broken up with him, Zandra, it's not like he wasn't available or anything," she said.
"Just let me leave, before I..."
"Before you what? I don't think your pathological fear of getting into academic-future-related trouble is going to let you do anything," she said. "And roman-a-clef threats don't work on me, remember." Duncan was stuttering something about gifts, shirts, and Charles Wallace's Blackberry. My brother retrieved the Blackberry and a shirt from Duncan's backpack before I pulled him through the door.
"I can't believe I just saw that," I said as I started the car.
"Well, he did go to Buffalo with Zenia," Charles Wallace said.
"How'd you know that?"
"You really should pay more attention to April Patterson's blog, Sandra. Duncan wrote that he was going to Buffalo to go get stuff to try to win you back, only he went with Zenia. He borrowed my Blackberry, too."
"This is worse than the time he thought he was dating Eva. Zenia's a weapon of mass destruction, but he invited her in, so he's not totally innocent." I felt like I was dead haunting the Tim Hortons.
"Sandra, are you just going to gun the engine with the brake on or are you going to take us home?" Charles Wallace asked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home